Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Con Report: Motor City Comic Con = Success!

Sorry to have kept you waiting this whole time with news on the Motor City Comic Con. I know this is a blog updated weekdays and I missed a weekday, so for that I will probably be going to blogger hell.

The convention was great, but that's coming from someone who went for only one day and more for business than for pleasure. You'll have to ask another convention-goer if his twenty dollars was well spent, but I know mine was.

As I mentioned previously, I went with the intention of talking to some editors and doing some general networking. There was one large-scale publisher at the convention and it was my goal to talk to them specifically. Arguably, it's the reason I even paid to get in.

However, upon my arrival, I was surprised to find a plethora of local, amateur artists doing high-quality work that was on par with (if not superior to) the bigger guys. It was a complete eye-opener to discover so much great comic material coming out of my own state. If you couldn't tell already, I'm located in Michigan which has had a reputation for being sort of a poverty-stricken wasteland. But people who don't live around here don't know how great this state really is! I'm very pleased to have had the opportunity to talk with local artists and to do my part to support local art.

I wanted to take this opportunity to give out a little free publicity to some of the people I met this weekend. They never asked for it and I never told them I would be giving it, but nevertheless I want to do my part to help people discover the great things coming out of this state.

In no particular order:


Flint Comix - Some of you may remember the city of Flint from the Michael Moore documentary "Roger & Me" where it is depicted as some sort of spooky ghost town. These guys, however, prove that not only is Flint still a thriving community, but one capable of producing fantastic art. Flint Comix is a monthly free-periodical that is pretty much a newspaper with just the good stuff. From syndicated strips to serialized stories told by local artists, Flint Comix not only supersedes DC's Wednesday Comics by a few months, but is free to boot! If you live in or around Flint, check local businesses to pick up your copy!

Comics Obscura - I had a chance to talk to both one of the artists and the editor of Comics Obscura, an independant comic book publisher out of Lansing. Comics Obscura is a collection of short story comics produced by local artists. Usually the thought of independant publishing brings up the thought of badly xeroxed mish-mash, but this was some top quality stuff being done by extremely talented people. According to editor Jay Jacot, Comics Obscura is all about getting local artists and writers together to make great comics and I think that's an excellent mission statement.

Jesse Rubenfeld Illustrations - What attracted me to Jesse's table was this big print of the Muppets reinacting the last supper that was adorning the front of it. There was absolutely no way I could go the whole convention and not meet the man who came up with that amazing piece! He eventually suckered me into buy a print of the picture, which I will proudly display for the rest of my natural life. A great artist and an all-around great guy to talk to, Jesse also self-publishes the comic book series Into the Dust.

Archetypal Images - I was lured to artist Eric Wilmoth's table by a sign that said "Help Wanted (to change the world.) " What followed was a long conversation about making art and inspiring others to make art. Eric's book, Archetypal Images is a philosophical statement to the reader about helping to make the world a better place through art. It was absolutely a thrill to have a chance to talk with him and to get inspired by his mission. It's one thing to make art, but its another to make art that inspires others to do the same.



Sisters Comics - The next time I feel like I can't be a comic writer or I just don't have it in me to get out there and do what I love, I'm going to think of the little girls making Sisters Comics. 12-year-old Layne Toth and 8-year old Peri Toth are comic book artists creating stories and publishing books at an age when most kids are just doodling. If these talented tykes can do it, anyone can!




Besides having the chance to hobnob with some great artists and learn about local talent being produced in the state, I did end up getting my pitch into the hands of the publishing company I came to the show to see. Mission accomplished! I felt really good about taking that first step forward. I don't expect much to come from this first venture out, but Rome wasn't built in a day. If there was one thing I learned from the Motor City Comic Con its to keep making art and keep doing what I love.

Next year, I hope to be behind one of those tables instead.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Exciting!
When I'd gone to MCCC in the past I'd spend most of the day in the dealers area; oogling musty, dusty transformers and $300 Kenner Superpowers Collection figures. Well, this time I spent most of the day in artists alley.. and I walked outta that building feeling more inspired than ever! Yeah, most of the artists made me feel like packing up my stuff and playing in the smaller sandbox at first, but I also had a feeling of 'I could do this!'
I didn't really talk to many people in-depth (I'm kinda shy-tee hee) but I chatted a little with some of the Comics Obscura peeps, a group called Draw Sucka, and some others. Not networking like you did (I should read that book you recommended), but I got a lot of websites to check out!
Best con to date!
Plus, after the con, my wife and sister-in-law were discussing a movie. We came dangerously close to seeing Wolverine, but saw Angels 'n' Demons instead. *phew!*