Monday, May 11, 2009

Why Komics are my Kalling

I have a lot in common with legendary comic book writer Alan Moore, the genius behind Watchmen, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen and other comic classics. Besides sharing a common last name and affinity for facial hair, we both consider ourselves comic book writers. Where we differ however is where Mr. Moore has earned his place at the top of the heap, I'm still at the bottom, trying to claw my way up.

So every hero needs an origin story, I just wish mine were a bit more exciting. Its not like a chance encounter with Stan Lee inspired me to start out on this long journey to comicdom or anything, I just up and decided one day that this was the life I was going to pursue.

I always pitied the poor souls in college who hadn't picked their majors by the time their junior year started. To have gone so long in their lives without knowing where they're headed seemed sad to me. I could have signed my major when I was eight years old and been satisfied with the choice I made my entire life.

When I was in second grade I had a teacher who often assigned creative short story assignments throughout the year. While other classes we reading Frog and Toad books, we were writing our own versions of the story (mine, disturbingly enough, involved dissection-- something no second grader should really know about.) This focus on creative writing, and the praise and support that went along with it was instrumental in shaping me as a future writer. From that day on, there was no question as to what I wanted to do with my life. The only thing left was to figure out was what I was going to write.

When I was a kid, back in the ancient era known as the 90s, McDonald's sponsored this speech contest called "When I Grow Up." Elementary school kids in 4th and 5th grades would give a speech about... well what they wanted to be when they grew up, of course. In 4th grade we were all required to write a speech, so I did a ho-hum rendition of "Why I Want to be a Writer" and stated RL Stine as being one of my influences. It sure was the 90s and I sure was in 4th grade.

I didn't even advance out of my class tier on that wimpy premise. The speech made me look at my career goals in a subjective light. I wanted to be a writer, but I didn't know what I wanted to write.

The next year, the speech was voluntary, but I decided to give it another crack and instead changed the premise from a writer to a comic book creator. Suddenly the speech had more zing, more flair and most importantly, more heart. My influences included Stan Lee and my dreams involved working for Marvel Comics, but eventually publishing my own creations.

But the amazing thing was, the judges actually responded. I won for my class, came in second for my school, but by a lucky twist of fate was able to advance on to districts which I also won. My reign of terror came to a close when I lost to a kid in regionals who had a speech impediment and wanted to be a "wawyer."

The entire experience was an eye-opener for me. For the first time in my life, being a comic book writer seemed like something I could actually do. Being able to know so early on what I wanted to be gave me the opportunity to start walking that path at an early age. When it came time to pick majors in college I could emphatically pick English with a creative writing concentration and not second guess myself for a minute.

No comments: