Monday, May 11, 2009

Writer's Advice for ANY Field: Read This Book!

I'm a big believer in taking things in baby steps. With an overall goal of being a comic book writer, I have to be realistic and realize it can't and won't happen overnight. The first good step in doing anything is to gather information.

Awhile back, I had the opportunity to ask comic writer Bryan Hill (Top Cow, Broken Trinity: Aftermath) a couple of questions about trying to get into writing comics. He gave me a great piece of advice that I'd like to extend onto you, my faithful reader. He told me that professionalism was rare in the comics industry and recommended that I read a book called "Good in a Room" by Stephanie Palmer.

After being on the waiting list at my local library for what seemed like forever, I finally got a chance to read it and now I'd like to officially recommend it to you. No matter what field you want to get into, no matter what idea you are trying to sell, it's a great guide to networking. I will admit, the idea of rubbing elbows and trying to sell my stuff had me a little terrified, but reading this book calmed me down tremendously. Check it out!

No comments: